The compact, rugged TAC-2R audio interface uses the latest Thunderbolt™ technology for blazingly fast speed, near zero latency and the ultimate in high-quality audio, up to 24-bit/192 kHz. With its easy-to-use design and advanced converters, the TAC-2R is perfect for studio and field recording of mics and instruments, onstage playback, and pristine audio streaming. It can even serve as an ultra-stable MIDI interface.
More than twice as fast as USB 3.0—not to mention twenty times faster than USB 2.0 and twelve times faster than Firewire 800—Thunderbolt is the interconnection technology of the future. Co-developed by Apple and Intel Labs, it allows signal to be transferred at an incredibly fast 10 gigabits per second, which means virtually no latency.* Thunderbolt interfaces such as the TAC-2R are also unaffected by computer jitter (slight variations in timing), so there's no need to connect an external master clock source.
In addition, Thunderbolt carries 10 watts/18 volts of power (as compared to the 2.5 watts/ 5 volts carried by USB 2.0)—enough to provide stable phantom power. This also allows the use of high-end components such as the Burr Brown PCM4202 analog-to-digital converter and AKM AK4396 digital-to-analog converter in the TAC-2R.
The TAC-2R performs 4-times upsampling during both analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion. In other words, when the sampling frequency is set to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz, the TAC-2R processes the signal at high resolution 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz. For A/D conversion, this means less aliasing noise; for D/A conversion, this means increased clarity and fidelity.
* Latency time in the TAC-2R is just 4.17 msec round trip when operating at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate with a 64 sample buffer size.
Features at a glance
- 2-in/2-out high speed Thunderbolt™ audio interface
- Support for recording and playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz
- Ultra-low latency audio streaming
- Two combo balanced XLR/TRS input connectors accept both mic- and line-level signal
- Hi-Z switches allow direct connection of electric guitar or bass
- Switchable +48V phantom power
- Two balanced TRS output jacks for connection to amplifiers or self-powered speakers
- ¼" headphone jack with dedicated level control
- Independent gain controls and clip LEDs for each input
- Large knob output volume control
- Direct Monitoring switch for zero latency monitoring in mono or stereo
- MIDI In and Out
- High-performance mic preamps with up to +60 dB of amplification
- 4x upsampling during A/D and D/A conversion for reduced noise and enhanced fidelity
- Asynchronous transfer system unaffected by computer jitter
- Bus powered—no AC power required
- Robust metal housing ensures roadworthiness
- Works with all Thunderbolt-equipped Macintosh computers running OS X 10.9.5 or later
- Input 1/2 connectors: XLR/TRS combo jacks (XLR: 2 hot / TRS: TIP hot)
- Input gain: 0 to 60dB in 1dB steps
- Input impedance: 5kΩ (1 MΩ (when Hi-Z ON)
- Maximum input level: +12 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Phantom power: +48V
- Type: 1/4" TRS phone jack (Balanced)
- Maximum output level: +14 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Output impedance: 100Ω
- Type: 1/4" stereo phone jack/ 20mW + 20mW (into 32Ω load)
- Maximum output level: +8 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Output impedance: 33Ω
- Type: 4x upsampling ( at 44.1kHz or 48kHz)
- Chipset: Burr Brown PCM4202 (A/D)/ AKM AK4396 (D/A)
- Frequency response:-1.0 dB: 20 Hz - 60 kHz @ 192kHz/ -1.0 dB: 20 Hz - 40 kHz @ 96kHz/ -1.0 dB: 20 Hz - 20 kHz @ 44.1kHz
- A/D dynamic range: 118dB typical (IHF-A)
- D/A dynamic range: 120dB typical (IHF-A)
- Audio channels (recording): 2
- Audio channels (playback): 2
- S/N ratio EIN: -125dBu (IHF-A) @ 60dB, 150Ω input
- Sampling frequency:192kHz, 176.4kHz, 96kHz, 88.2kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz
- Bit depth: 24-bit
- Latency (typical): 4.17 msec round trip (@ 44.1kHz sampling / 64 sample buffer size)
- Interface: Thunderbolt
- Power: Thunderbolt Bus Power
- Power consumption: 10 W maximum
- Dimensions: 113.9mm(D) x 176.0mm(W) x 46.2mm (H)
- Weight: 714g *0dBu＝0.775Vrms
- MIDI Input: 5-pin DIN jack
- MIDI Output: 5-pin DIN jack
Paying later with Klarna.
We've partnered up with Klarna to provide you with a flexible payment plan and make your purchases easy and comfortable
Because we believe in giving you the power to control your web content.
It's Quick and easy!
When you divide your payments with klarna, you will know with detail your monthly payment and your total. You will receive a instant answer on your application and there is no need for a debit or credit card.
Visit our tutorial page to learn how to apply:
What are the terms and conditions?
When it comes to service, you'll be glad you bought your item at Hermes Music.
- 14 days for exchanges and returns, the duration of the guarantee with the manufacturer is established by the manufacturer.
- Proof of purchase is required when making a claim for any manufacturer.
- Warranty claims sent to Hermes Music take 2-4 business days to process and replacement depends on manufacturer findings after the product is sent to them.
- Shipping cost varies by manufacturer.
- Some manufacturers require the customer to contact them directly for warranty claims.
- Hermes Music provides excellent customer service and we will do our best to assist on warranty claims.
Changes and refunds are subject to a 20% restocking fee, items that are returned within the time indicated, in their original condition, and with all components can be considered case by case for a 100% refund.
Click to read more...
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.